DIY again

I love crafting stuff and especially doing DIY stuff.

I found some prints I fell in love with and my original plan was to mount them on canvas that was until I found this old headboard.

I have not seen anyone do this exact thing so I wanted it to look perfect.

My mind started working overtime. I knew I wanted grey chalk paint so I mixed up my own using plaster of Paris and a Valspar sample from Lowes. When using chalk paint no sanding is needed.

I put two coats of the grey paint on letting it dry for a few days in between then I sanded it lightly by hand and waxed it using Minwax finishing paste wax. I waited awhile and buffed it out using a clean soft cloth.

The prints could have been put directly on the headboard BUT I wanted to add dimension without using traditional matt techniques. I bought the whole piece of matt board for $9.00 at Hobby Lobby and my husband and I figured up the spacing between the prints vs the spacing around the prints. We cut out matt board to go behind the prints. Placing the prints directly on top of the matt board. The prints are 11″ x 14″.

Last year after the Christmas holidays I found this cotton streamer on clearance for like $3.00 I snatched it up knowing I would find a use for it. I love clearance.

Now I have a new wall hanging for our dining room wall and I love it. This might just be my all-time favorite DIY.

Cotton1Cotton2

 

New swing

My sister’s neighbors were throwing away this old glider, and 4 metal chairs. They were all very rusted and needed some new bolts some TLC and some paint.

We snagged them all and decided to make the glider into a swing. The only issue is we have had to move the chains several times because it was bucking us out lol. I think finally we have it where it needs to be which is different than this picture.

One chair of the four has been painted and it’s a moss green I am not sure what colors the rest of the chairs will be. They just do not make chairs like this anymore the new ones that are similar are not near as heavy.

You know what they say one person’s trash is another person treasure.

Swing

 

DIY – Succulent table

Recently I was on an auction site that had the baby change table tops that go on top of a chest of drawers.

I started bidding and believe it or not these things are $150.00 – $200.00 each. I ended up winning 4 of them for a grand total of $22.00 for all of them.

After staring at them a few days I came up with the idea to use to some table legs I already had and make a succulent table.

I had my husband put the legs on the table and reinforce it then I mixed up some grey chalk paint and painted it all. We then lined the inside with some of the leftover greenhouse plastic.

It was starting to look pretty good. I went to Lowes to check out the clearance rack and low and behold there was a large pot of succulents piled in this container that would be $12.00. Well, that was a bargain because small succulents are generally $3.00 each this was about $75.00 worth of stuff.

We added some soil and I planted it and I love the way it turned out. It sits on our back porch and really seems to like the area.

As far as the other 3 changing table tops I gave one to my sister, and we are making the grandkids a lego table with the biggest one it is a foot longer than the others. That leaves me one to do something with and I am thinking it might make a good potting table.

Use your imagination to figure out how to repurpose something into something new you never know what you might come up with.

Succulent table1

 

DIY yard art

Some of you may remember about 4 1/2- years ago I had found these doors at the Habitat for Humanity store in Houston.

It took me awhile to decide what I wanted to do with them then one day I decided that our side deck area was the perfect place. I had intended on painting them but the colors they were already worked quite well and I liked the faded paint look.

Everyone that saw the doors loved them and thought it was such a great idea. I used them for about 4 years just like this. The frames around the outside edges started rotting. We were going to just chunk all 3 doors.

I started thinking about the slats in the doors.The brown and blue slats were in great condition so what I needed now were square frames to insert them in.I got my husband to build them. Thank goodness my husband can see my visions lol.

Thank goodness my husband can see my visions lol.

The blue slats had tiny pegs at each end which made using them the easiest. My husband just drilled holes and inserted them and glue them into 2 x 4’s. For a change, I decided all 3 needed to be painted the same color.

Since they looked a bit to plain to me I wanted to add craft mirrors in a few shapes around the edges. Liquid nails worked out great to glue them with but do not get too much or they will slide off.

These interior doors hung in someone’s home for years, then on our side deck area as art doors for 4 years and now once again they have been repurposed into window art.

DIY is a lot of fun and considering we only paid $5.00 a door, to begin with, I really think we have gotten our money’s worth out of these old doors.

Repurposing something you already have is a good way to get creative without having to buy anything new.

Decorating outdoor areas and adding splashes of color is a good way to brighten up an area and make it feel fresh and welcoming.

doorssonyaliraphotography

 

Windows